Call Us At: 604-730-1106

Helping People Transform Their Lives Through Education... A Career in Health Care!

Working Canada

Co-op and Internship Students

For some Canadian academic programs, work experience is part of the curriculum. Foreign students enrolled in a school in Canada who wish to participate in a co-op or internship program need both a study permit and a work permit.


The process below only applies if the work term is a requirement of a Canadian school. If you wish to do a work term, internship or on-the-job training in Canada, without being enrolled in a Canadian educational institution, you will need to apply for a work permit (and not a study permit). The requirements and instructions are listed in our Working in Canada section.


If you are enrolled in an educational institution outside Canada that has a formal exchange agreement with a Canadian educational institution to provide Canadian citizens with reciprocal opportunities to work abroad, then you may be exempt from the requirement to obtain a labour market opinion. Include a copy of the agreement in your work permit application.


Who Can Apply

To be eligible for a work permit under a co-op or internship program, the following conditions must be met:

  • You must be eligible for a study permit,
  • Your intended employment must be an essential part of your program of study in Canada,
  • Your employment must be certified as part of the academic program by a responsible academic official of the institution,
  • Your co-op or internship employment cannot form more than 50 percent of the total program of study, and
  • You are not a medical intern or extern, nor a resident physician (except in veterinary medicine).

How to Apply

If you meet the conditions stated above, do not make a separate application for a work permit and do not pay an additional fee for a work permit. Follow the standard procedure to apply for a study permit, with one extra step: In your study permit application include a letter from the Canadian educational institution stating that employment is an essential part of your program of study. Underline or highlight this information in the letter.


Social Networks

Call Us At 604 730 1106
Copyright © 2014, 2015 BC Resident Care Aide Inc. dba Pacific Coast Community College
All rights reserved